Caramelized Onion Walnut Pizza w / Apples
Summer means entertaining with friends and enjoying good food. We all know the urge we can get when we’re with our friends to eat things we said we weren’t going to eat in order to have a slim figure. Well, here’s one food that is filling and that I truly enjoy. A spin off the old favorite food of almost everyone in the world. What is it? Pizza! Here’s how to make a healthy and delicious summer snack that won’t leave you feeling guilty.
2 Tablespoons margarine or butter
4 medium onions, thinly sliced
2 teaspoons sugar
1 10 ounce package refrigerated pizza dough or Boboli (whole wheat)
1/2 Cups of gorgonzola cheese
1/2 Cup of walnut pieces
1. In a large saucepan melt margarine or butter. Add onions. Cover and cook over medium-low heat about 15 minutes or until onions are tender and golden, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle sugar over onions. Cook, uncovered, for 10 to 15 minutes more or until browned, stirring occasionally.
2. Lightly grease an 11 to 13 inch pizza pan. Unroll pizza dough (if refrigerated) and transfer to greased pan, pressing dough out with your hands. Build up edges slightly. Bake in a 425 degree F oven for 7 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned. For already made pizza dough, add to a lightly non-stick sprayed pizza pan.
3. For refrigerated dough, spread cheese evenly over hot crust. Top with apples, onions, walnut pieces and more cheese. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes more or until heated through. For already made pizza dough, brush a little bit of melted butter or margarine on pizza dough, add onions, apples, walnuts and cheese. To give your pizza little kick you can also add your favorite chutney or jam, instead of a little melted butter. My recommendation would be Stonewall Kitchen’s – Fig and Raisin Chutney but watch the sugar content.
Ok, now that you have your pizza done, enjoy solo or with your friends and tell me how you like it.
P.S. There are different variations to make this pizza to your liking. You can add figs, pears, goat cheese, feta or blue cheese instead of Gorgonzola. Whatever you decide, enjoy!
From Me To You With Love,
- Weekend Project: Homemade Pizza Dough (williams-sonoma.com)
- Pizza Bianca with Prosciutto and Fig (williams-sonoma.com)
- Make a Pizza! (birthdayinabox.com)
- How to Barbecue Pizza (formulamom.com)
- How to make PIZZA (plannalp.wordpress.com)
- Homemade Pizza Dough (sopeoplecanknowwhatihavebeenupto.wordpress.com)
- Pizza with Onions, Mushrooms & Brie (williams-sonoma.com)
- 74 Ways to Make a Healthier Pizza (damorespizza.wordpress.com)
- Spicy Avocado Pizza (itdoesnttastelikechicken.com)
- Healthy Summer Snacks! (stayhealthynow.wordpress.com)